[FRIAM] Getting You Libertarians' Goats

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Sep 18 15:50:42 EDT 2020

EricS -

I think this gives a good "hint" of part of what a fully Socialized or
Communal system looks like to some (e.g. Libertarians), and why they
resist what others of us might see as "reasonable attempts at leveling
the playing field".

I'm definitely ambivalent in the sense of being of "two minds".   I am a
creature (ego?) shaped by the struggles and challenges I have
experienced... and "what didn't kill me made me stronger" or maybe more
to the point, I am a product of my experiences (nod to Glen's
"diachronic" vs "episodic" thoughts).

I have only the thinnest apprehension of Glen's "Anarcho Syndicalism"
(sure I've read a little, but have far from had time to think through it
all)  but it has some of the positive features I look for like
"structure at all scales" and "self-similarity" possibilities,
explaining not only how "history doesn't repeat itself, it rhymes"
(Clemens) but perhaps how cultural sub-units, "bubbles" if you will also
rhyme across geography/culture as well as time.   A bit of a
cultural/semantic version of the "multi-verse foam" ideas in
physics/cosmology.

Also the best reason I can accept for a continued-to-expand humanity...
with consciousness being not unlike the big-bang, expanding (in quality)
right up to our current era where the likes of Musk and several
nation-states are aspiring to begin to colonize the inner system (at
least moon/mars) in our (their?) lifetimes.

- SteveS