[FRIAM] Don't take your guns (or ammo) to town...

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Sep 16 17:33:33 EDT 2020

Frank -

I think you just missed the Santa Fe City/County firearms "buyback"
which has some charms (though I think they are constrained to always
destroy the weapons, which may contradict some particular antique value
of one or the other).

I DO think firearms of the type you likely inherited (pre 1950
manufacture?) are for the most part, not in the problematic class...

According to Wikipedia, NM does require background checks on private
purchases... it would probably be easier for you to sell to a gun
dealer, possibly at a gun show.   Such a person would at least
understand the collectible value of what you have, whether they pay a
fair price for it or not (guy's gotta make a profit?).

My own values suggest that A) you make sure the firearms don't get
abused in this modern gun-crazy culture; B) make sure that any familial
sentimentality is not violated (sounds like that phase has already been
passed); C) make sure any particularly interesting vintage pieces make
their way to proper collector/museum hands.   Roughly in that order.
They could also be rendered inoperable such that it would require a
gunsmith to return them to fireable condition.  I'm guessing in all
cases, removing or filing down a firing pin is the method.

While I often imply (maybe even boldly state?)  That I do not own any
firearms, I AM the curator of two revolvers handed down to me, I just
deliberately don't maintain any ammunition, nor do I fetishize them (as
cool of mechanisms as they are when inspected closely).   I DID
incorporate the (very slightly damaged) barrel of my Grandfather's
service .45 (replaced by my father during his tenure with it) into an
art piece about "action at a distance"... cartography and ballistic
weapons..

    /(it was selected in a juried art-show making me "an Artist" which
    in turn means (I believe) now anything I craft that I *call* Art, is
    now, in fact *Art* because I'm an artist (see first clause) and I
    *say so*!    I am in the same boat as you Frank, thinking I might
    best just remove these fancy mechanisms from being useful for
    threatening/wounding/killing people/animals/roadsigns.)/

When closing down my parents house after my dad died and my mother opted
for an assisted living lifestyle, his two *rifles* went missing.    I
did not know precisely where they were stored, but had an idea and
sought them out first to make sure they didn't "get loose".  Both were
fairly innocuous... the first being my Grandfather's *other* WWI service
weapon (30.06 bolt-action single-shot used by my father as a deer rifle
with open sights) and the other being a 20 guage shotgun my father took
in trade from a colleague early in his career but never really used...
He had let go of a .22 plinking rifle somewhere in his retirement, so I
didn't have to look for that.   The revolvers and a tiny (by most
people's measure) cache of ammunition (at least a decade stale by that
time) were nearby but the likely thief (someone who had done some
work/help for my parents who had access to the building and must have
seen the weapons) didn't find.   While either of the weapons "lost"
could be used to threaten, harm or kill someone, they are nothing
compared to the now-popular assault-style semi-automatics and combat
(12ga) shotguns.   My father taught me the basics of firearms handling
and safety and sent me through an NRA sponsored course around age 13
which I am thankful for.  I handled his weapons enough during that time
to become moderately proficient and familiar but I suspect I'm more
accurate with my bow or a rock than I would be with a firearm.

I don't know what to offer about your youngster who is being
indoctrinated into gun violence/combat by the popular culture...  I
myself can be seduced by the action shows and some aspects of strong
action-oriented computer-video games... with "action" as a euphemism for
*aggressive violence* I suppose.  I believe that we, as a culture, are
rather unhealthy in a number of dimensions, this being one of the more
acutely obvious (to some of us) ones.

Good on you for caring enough to do right by this issue.

- Steve