[FRIAM] why some people hate cops

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 15:14:15 EDT 2020

I was recently triggered by what I thought was a disparaging comment from EricC about the recent attempt to redefine "racism" so as to (primarily) refer to systemic racism. The idea, I think, is that a minority can't be called "racist" because the majority has overwhelming control over the system in which they live. After asking a clarifying question (as I *always* have to do with EricC! >8^D), he elaborated that it's unreasonable to *expect* everyone to know that the definition has changed. Confusion will mount because language is fluid, ambiguity exists, definitions change, not all people are the same, etc.

But there's depth to the discussion. Religious people have been in near TOTAL control of our world for a very very long time. Even today, atheists are nearly unelectable. If it weren't for some fluidity in the market of different religions, that control would be total. Part of why I like jokes like the Discordians and Flying Spaghetti Monster (and more deeply the Satanic Temple) is because they compete in that ridiculous market. To accuse a minority of hate speech against a majority is a little off-kilter, to me. It may be literally appropriate. But it misses the nuance of the conversation.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ