[FRIAM] God in Science and Religion (was Re: why some people hate cops)

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Fri Sep 25 11:15:25 EDT 2020

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 6:17 AM uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ <gepropella at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, when you were considering the risk of political violence and thinking
> about "flagging" the post, whatever that means,  you were only trying to
> change the subject to something you'd prefer to talk about?

Good question, Glen.

 "Flagging" a post to me would have been a list admin email of the sort:
   "In the judgment of the List Admin, this speech is considered hate
speech and will not be tolerated in this forum. This is a warning. Any
posters that use this type of language will be given a public warning and
if their post behavior continues they will be unsubscribed"

I think my original post was clear. As list admin, I did not feel Marcus
post called for this type of action/flagging. I gave one reason that the
risk of inciting violence was near zero and my follow up post which you
quote is I also understand the sentiment behind Marcus's post.

And then I concluded the "list admin" portion of my post as intellectually
wondering what constitutes hate speech. In my little corner of the world,
I've never had to make that determination as a manager or any other
position of authority. Nor have I been part of large enough organizations
to sit through seminars listen to this sort of expertise. I did find your
EricC reference interesting in this regard if a "majority" could be a
protected class. Relatedly, I came across this WaPO article
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/07/canadian-judge-punching-a-caucasian-and-yelling-i-hate-white-people-isnt-a-hate-crime/>
of a First Nation/Native woman yelled "I hate white people" and then
punched a lady in the nose and it was judged not a hate crime.

I hope I was clear in the 2nd part of my post replying as a list member and
"religious"  person to bring up what I wanted to talk about.

-Stephen