[FRIAM] God in Science and Religion (was Re: why some people hate cops)

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Fri Sep 25 20:49:43 EDT 2020

Steve, probably I should have responded the first time to the main line in your post, which Nick automatically highlighted.

> On Sep 25, 2020, at 12:41 PM, Stephen Guerin <stephen.guerin at simtable.com> wrote:
>
> First was to use Marcus's post as a reiteration of evidence to Eric the deep disdain and hatred many in Science have for Religion

I’m not sure I see that very much.

Among people I like who aren’t much for religion, many of them don’t like to be pushed around, and religion has been one of the larger edifices for pushing people around.  The proselytizing ones in particular, since they aren’t allowed to leave people in peace.

I know for myself that one of the reasons I went into the recreation of trying to figure things out is that I didn’t like pushy people, but didn’t want to become one to keep them at bay.  It seemed there was a third way, which was to be right about things, or to see things coming, and let the others run aground on their own errors without my participation.  Hence I project a similar motive on many people I get along with.  I don’t know if they would say that of themselves.

But that’s not hatred.  It’s not liking to be pushed around, and disliking people who won’t stop it.  That seems well within the mode of normal good health, and a certain degree of standing up for oneself.

The other kinds, like the flamboyant atheists, are not generally people I have much affinity for, but they seem to me to just be competitors with the religious for followers or the vanity of thinking they are influencers.

I guess there must be many other categories too.

Anyway,

Eric