[FRIAM] The God Equation

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Apr 5 15:31:12 EDT 2021

Marcus  wrote:

> That was Glen.   (My explanation is just that we have limited short
> term memory and can’t tolerate any other representation than terribly
> compressed forms.   So it is hard to gain confidence in simulations
> because we can’t get them entirely in our heads, nor prove them
> correct, nor reason very effectively about how mutations will change
> their behavior.   The natural world has no such hesitation.)

<not-snark> I wonder if perhaps that "the natural world" *does* have
such hesitation in the sense you cop to here...  and suggest that when
this happens it is exactly what we call "life".   We fat-brained humans
with elaborate language are just the (known) apex of this process that
bootstraps itself up some kind of tower-of-babel style complexity (to
increase our ability to hold more and more and more qualitatively and
quantitatively "in our heads").   Clay tablets unto nanodots (and
beyond)  and proto-abacii unto quantum computers (and beyond) represent
our progress toward extending our phenotypes represent our attempts to
expand (transcend?) the reasons for our hesitation.

Is "life itself" and "consciousness" by extension, somehow the urge (an
inevitable self-organizing trend itself?) toward a particular type of
self-organization?

</not snark>