[FRIAM] lockdowns

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Apr 7 12:48:22 EDT 2021

EricC, et al-

I really appreciate your elaborate analysis of this (general)
phenomenon.   I suspect this last year, the myriad governmental (and
NGO) responses around the world will provide a *wealth* of data for
Forensic Epidmiologists.

Not picking on DaveW particularly, I found it incredibly specious this
year every time someone (probably including myself) made an ad-hoc
comparison between an apple, a pear, and an orangatan and tried to draw
some specific conclusion from it.   It always felt like clutching for
confirmation bias, maybe most painfully when I caught myself doing it.

Like your own perspective on Sweden's response, I *wanted* to believe
that a lightly populated, very socially coherent, somewhat
geographically isolated could modulate R0 through distributed, personal
decision-making with top-down/centralized  "advice" and "reporting".
So I cherry picked from samples and perspectives that *appeared to be
working* while the naysayers were gleefully doing the same thing in an
opposite sense.   I *want* (still) to believe that

I would claim the same for RedState BlueState players in the very same
game.   I *wanted* to believe that Sturgis was the stupidest thing
anyone could do (from a public-health perspective) and that the whole
state of South Dakota (and near environs) would collapse into a Zombie
Apocalypse within a few weeks, and then as any strong-positive
correlations came up, I jumped up and down and shouted "See, See, See!"
(in my own head while shaking my tiny fist at my Large and Tiny
Screens).   Same for a million other examples (various
COVID-denying/downplaying/overplaying examples with various
positive/negative feedback samples).

NickT -

I appreciate your calling this out as "why do you *want* to believe
X?".    I can't remember what the questionaire was that some of us took
to yield this SnarkChart, but I think there is a correlation.   I
actually think this is the wrong basis space (axes) but the
Authoritarian/Anarchist axis seems relevant.   I don't know what
Left/Right imply here (Collective vs Individual Good?).