[FRIAM] lockdowns

jon zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 16:52:23 EDT 2021

"""
/I did the best job I could to determine/ my personal risk in my personal
context and based my actions accordingly. I took into account what the
"experts had to say," but critically and with, what counts for me, some
common sense.
"""
Same, and perhaps similarly, I found the public health guidelines to be
impoverished, crude, and generally inadequate for my needs. For the little
data that was out there, even less was being digested and interpreted
(CYA?). I found a need to reason about data directly and so wrote a couple
of bots to organize data that I hoped would be relevant to me. I would watch
individuals in public spaces and theorize about their behavior relative to
my hypotheses. Occasionally, I would need to sidestep individuals that would
tell me it was all a hoax or others telling me to abandon my way in the
world in favor of *believing the science*. Knowing that I need more for a
healthy life than to not simply catch covid, I attempt to find low-risk
opportunities to meet my needs. It has been exceedingly difficult, though so
far so good.
A significant difficulty has come in the form of social repression, and not
simply locking down. Rather instead, inhibition toward reasoning about the
effects of the virus (and *all* its entailments) relative to rational
individual action. I longed for a mean free path calculator. I didn't want
to suspend thinking coherently about the consequences of my interactions,
simply because I needed to visit a store or because a friend was in need.
Personally, I don't feel that there is anything to blame. In theory, a plan
was needed and many were executed. Each execution fighting to do what it was
brought into this world to do, occasionally acting to leave other plans
stillborn where they quickened.

--
Sent from: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/