[FRIAM] interjection from another conversation

Merle Lefkoff merlelefkoff at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 17:32:44 EDT 2021

Thanks Dave.

I've been using the thinking from the book ever since its publication more
than five years ago.  As our organization facilitates and trains others to
facilitate deep dialogue (Bohm is my guide), we have learned that emergent
creativity in our groups is best encouraged by opening up the dialogue
space to the discovery of the "adjacent possibles" needed to solve the
wicked problems.  The old strategic planning model, extremely linear and
ultimately non-helpful for emergent  breakthrough, seems in my experience
to "colonize" the mind with present "trends", closing off the ability to
leap forward to possibly new frontiers.  When we can't specify an
unprestateable future,  I think this may be the only way to go.

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 8:54 AM Prof David West <profwest at fastmail.fm>
wrote:

> A comment by Richard Gabriel that I stole from another conversation (the
> only FRIAMMER in that conversation is Jenny Quillien who used to attend the
> mother church before moving to the Netherlands).
>
> *"I think it adds a dimension to many of the evolution conversations we
> have had the past couple of years.*
>
> *I recommend reading either “Why Greatness Cannot be Planned: The Myth of
> the Objective” by Lehman and Stanley or its more technical foundational
> paper "Abandoning Objectives: Evolution through the Search for Novelty
> Alone,” by the same authors. In this book and paper they argue that natural
> and artificial evolution are (better thought of as being) based on (or
> implemented as) novelty seeking with survival as a (boring) constraint. The
> main step of evolution, they say, is to produce diversity / novelty so that
> the new creation creates a new niche: the new mutations don’t compete with
> others for resources, they exploit different resources. For example, when
> exaptation created the first flyers, all of a sudden a whole raft of
> predators became irrelevant. *
>
> *So evolution is looking for new ways to live instead of better ways to
> live. Within an established species, it might be that evolution as
> optimization creates incremental improvements.*
>
> *If evolution is based on creating novelty, then after all the simple
> (different) ways to live have been tried, the only direction to go is
> complexity."*
>
> davew

Merle Lefkoff, Ph.D.
Center for Emergent Diplomacy