[FRIAM] semi-idle question

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Apr 24 17:45:36 EDT 2021

I'm not sure I did much better in finding (with trivial effort) relevant
data but:

    https://www.statista.com/statistics/1033027/fertility-rate-us-1800-2020/

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Income_and_fertility

provide some framing.  It seems in the present/industrial societies, the
correlation is inverse

    /"Development is the best //contraceptive
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contraceptive>//." - /Karan Singh/
    /

I was shocked that our (USA) Rnaught had dropped to 2.06 in 1940.  My
father was 1 of 2 but my mother was 1 of 5 (all born in the 20s).   I
was skooled by my betters in the equal rights movement that it was not
until oral contraception (circa 1960) that fertility/reproduction rates
dropped.  The chart above suggests (acutely) otherwise.  I'm assuming my
grandparents must have relied on (male) barrier methods *or* they had
just enough Calvinist in them (which they did by my 60's ideals) to rely
on abstinence?

In all cases, I think the number of generations implied even by the last
2000 years might not be enough to obtain significant change?   Or is
speciation more of a punctuated equilibrium event with abrupt
environmental changes (including migration to new landscapes) are what
drive rapid change by selection?   Or gradualism?  Or both:

    https://necsi.edu/gradualism-and-punctuated-equilibrium

- Steve
//