[FRIAM] Streaming services

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Sun Aug 22 15:22:38 EDT 2021

Yes, I think you are right. Both. Streaming services enable people to listen to music from remote corners of the world.But they also encourage all people to hear the same stuff. For example platforms like Spotify produce global "top 50" charts. People listen to popular songs in the charts, and a song is listed in the charts if people listen to it. Some positive feedback loops can be found here which lead to bubbles - complexity theory :-)Without good old radio stations we would certainly have less diversity and variety. -J.
-------- Original message --------From: ⛧ glen <gepropella at gmail.com> Date: 8/22/21  16:30  (GMT+01:00) To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam at redfish.com> Subject: Re: [F It does both, perhaps counterintuitively. I'd argue it facilitates traffic between demes/cliques, but inhibits the content of demes/cliques.On August 22, 2021 6:51:02 AM PDT, Jochen Fromm <jofr at cas-group.net> wrote:>In the last virtual FRIAM meeting Jonathan Zingale mentioned that streaming services confine our access to music, because they mainly offer mainstream music.IMHO they also broaden our access to music: as a European I can listen to music from all around the world. I have for example German, Italian, Australian, British, American and Spanish playlists on Spotify. This weak I have listened for instance to a Spanish songhttps://open.spotify.com/track/1MdsletWuIR9ItEnitWRwp?si=yZPJfu01R_6RAmw9ang8mQDo you feel streaming services restrict our access to music or do they extend it? :-/-J.-- glen ⛧- .... . -..-. . -. -.. -..-. .. ... -..-. .... . .-. .FRIAM Applied Complexity Group listservZoom Fridays 9:30a-12p Mtn GMT-6  bit.ly/virtualfriamun/subscribe http://redfish.com/mailman/listinfo/friam_redfish.comFRIAM-COMIC http://friam-comic.blogspot.com/archives: http://friam.471366.n2.nabble.com/