[FRIAM] what complexity science says ...

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 13:22:07 EST 2021

M.

But, if the cochlea can't handle what the fft serves up, the brain doesn't
get the information it expects, and so the sound is garbled.  The torture of
deafness is not only loss of volume but that one clearly hears what just as
clearly could not have been said.  This the dream-like quality of
mis-hearing, where the deaf person hears some wildly improbable utterance
rather than any that might be expected.  I keep offering the idea (in the
hope of being contradicted) that such mishearings violate a general
principle of perception that, ceteris paribus, we see what we expect to see.

I slandered Frank and unslandered SteveG.  The diagram is from the latter.

Clearly the diagram is non-sense, right?  It depicts amplitude but claims to
provide frequency or wave length data.  But both of the latter require
differential "representation", right.  Moreover, the depiction of  the
cochlea as flat and "unrolled" is one of those "assume-a-spherical-cow"
things.  Cows aren't spherical and cochlea aren't flat AND they ARE  cooped
up in a bony spiral.  How does that distort the wave as it sloshes around
the spiral, constantly turning right?  And what about back waves arising
from the pulsing of the lower window?

I stipulate that it's easier to ask questions than to answer them, but, just
on the face of it, don't you agree that what we were taught in graduate
school is nuts?

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/