[FRIAM] Conditional Association and the "natural order"

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Feb 10 12:05:10 EST 2021

I have someone  in my life who worked/lived in Chile during Pinochet's
rule, and in fact the company (big copper) he worked for was in fact
exploiting in the most American style....  eventually the largest, most
voracious/egregious of mining companies bought his company up and it
only took about 5 years of working for them for him to become an extreme
apologist for THEM.   His eldest daughter who was still pre-teen when
they left Chile is a huge Pinochet apologist.    It is really disturbing
to me.   But her childhood friends were all children of the ruling class
and affiliates (International ex-pats) else they would not even be in
the country (or alive)...  so it is obvious... but still sad/disturbing.

As a long-time employee of LANL and erstwhile believer in Mutual Assured
Destruction (MAD) as a (the only?) viable concept of peace in the modern
(post-hiroshima/nagasaki), I have been an apologist for some pretty
disturbing things myself.   That (somewhat) recognized mistake of my own
leads me to be a bit more Luddite than many here who I would (gently)
suggest are apologists for (runaway) technological (and economic)
progress.

I find it fascinating what we humans are capable of transforming from
"unthinkable" to "necessary" which presages designation as "a very good
thing".