[FRIAM] Subjective experience & free will

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Mar 9 13:46:36 EST 2021

Jon -

I like the practical nihilism (as I read it) in your reply.   There is
something deflating (of the ego?) about honestly contemplating/answering
these kinds of questions I think.  Deflating ~= Freeing?

I was most recently confronted via Ted Chiang's short story in his
recent collection "Exhalation" wherein a quantum-facilitated device is
invented which minimally allows people to communicate laterally with
parallel worlds.   The technical conceit of the story involves a "fully
shielded" pad of qubits such that when you first turn it on, you burn a
qubit which splits your multiverse line into two threads...   then
subsequent qubits can be used to exchange 1-bit messages with yourself.
As the qubit pads got larger and larger, the possibility of
text-message, even voice/video became possible (albeit expensive) with
one's dopple-self.   The (long) short-story explored the social
consequences of being able to have such communications, ranging from
being able to pick up communication with the dopple-self of a dead loved
one (one who died in your thread but not in another) to being able to
team up with your alternate self(ves) to build a leveraged work team who
makes leveraged progress in each parallel line, to assembling ensembles
of fantasy sports-teams across parallel threads with the *realization*.
No longer would it be "my team won the superbowl this year" but rather
"my team won 93% of all superbowls across an ensemble of N worlds".
Another side-effect would be to have a the tip of your fingers a perfect
confidante... your dopple-self(ves) bifurcated when you start a new
qubit-pad knows your every intimate existence right down to the
quantum-state level, but then slowly diverges into an alternate
experience, etc.

I suppose some might want to believe that our current quantum computers
ARE in some sense establishing this kind of formalizeable "Garden of
Forking Paths" or "Library of Babel".... Marcus?

- Steve