[FRIAM] I am accepting wagers

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 16:00:57 EDT 2021

I'm not sure this adds anything.

As I've said before I was a one of the first people to be hired by Bell
Labs to work specifically on No. 5 ESS.  During my interview they told me
they wanted to hire 125 computer science PhDs.  The year I finished there
were 108 who graduated in the entire country.  Although my dissertation was
in numerical methods my first assignment was in software administration
methodology.

As the project grew every day consisted of two 3-hour meetings in the
morning and two in the afternoon.  These focussed mainly on the interfaces
between the various subsystems.  This was the first ESS to be developed in
C and with multiple processors.

Several times I heard comments like "if we could get the right 15 people in
a room together we could get this done."  After a year and a half of this I
decided to head for academia.

If you read about 5ESS on Wikipedia you will learn that it is widely
deployed in telephone networks worldwide including cell networks.  It has
100,000,000 lines of C code and 100,000,000 lines of header files.  I'm
skeptical about the "15 people".

Frank
---
Frank C. Wimberly