[FRIAM] What is Wealth for?

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 16 11:57:57 EDT 2021

>From Glen:

*"Being poor is very difficult and time consuming. The specious Puritan rhetoric that even if you're poor, all you need do is spend all your free time working, forgets that you tire out (in short-) and burn out (in long-term), physically, mentally, emotionally."*

There are numerous studies that suggest hunter-gatherer societies were more 'affluent" than contemporary [pleabes | proles | serfs | working classes] in that the former spent like 15 hours a week to obtain basic food, housing, shelter, progeny than the latter.

That suggest to me that any discussion about wealth or poverty needs to be in context.

Move those hunter-gatherers into a new context, one where they are suddenly aware that *They* lack the obscure rock band T-shirts that *Others* have and suddenly what was not poverty becomes so.

davew