[FRIAM] WAS Friday Fodder IS NOW: dangly bits

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Mar 23 16:39:53 EDT 2021

> “Tangential”  would seem to  understate the case.  Please reply here
> if you want to talk about Arnold’s dangly bitsl  Please please do not
> gum up a perfectly good conversation about spandrels.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Nick

a1dc6b05992d78388f3e8d23cb7aeac2--byzantine-architecture-romanesque-architecture.jpg

In the case of the "ultimate spandrel", the working-parts of the
*/pendentive/* dome ARE the "dangly bits".

Once you take away *everything else but* the Spandrels, what do you
have?   Whether their origin followed the traditional "just so" story or
my own contrived one (mesolithic stacking of triangular liths by
lith-worshipers), you have to admit that the "spandrels" are doing all
the heavy lifting in the structure, even if you insist that what is
being "utilized" is the negative spaces of the arches and the zenith-dome.

I in the theme of DaveW's observations about whole-part evolution
tension, I am reminded of Glen's recent snark: "there IS no
individual".   There is no whole, there are no parts, it's
self-organized systems (relations), all the way down?

As much as we seem to love to hate Stephen Wolfram, I think that is what
he's talking about in his "New Kind of Science: Consciousness Edition"

What Is Consciousness?--Visual Summary—click to enlarge

https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2021/03/what-is-consciousness-some-new-perspectives-from-our-physics-project/

I think I "bent" EricC's bend of Nick's thread just a bit?...

The Gordian knot of high school reform | The Thomas B. Fordham Institute

Ramble,