[FRIAM] Friday Fodder

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 17:33:59 EDT 2021

Dave,

I am going to lead my larding by resending what I sent before, because
nobody seems to have read it.

Wow, Dave!  I will "lard" this by Friday!  Watch this space.  For the
moment, let me say only the following.  The hyena story, pushing 50 years by
now, does have the feel of a well worn tale.  I have not been back to visit
that literature since forever, so you are right to be  suspicious.  But
remember, the tale is told only to argue for what a spandrel might be, if
ever there was a spandrel.  So we have two separate issues.  One is the
definition of a spandrel; the other is the question of whether any spandrels
exist.  Please keep that separation in mind as we discuss this further.  I
further confess my fondness for Kipling (See attached).  I am probably in
the last generation of grandparents to read Kipling's Just So Stories to his
grand children;  they are, occasionally, so casually racist that I have to
edit as I read.  And yes you do point to a terrible weakness in all
evolutionary explanation.  They are historical explanations based on the
comparative method, with all the perils that that sort of explanation
entails.  (John Dodson take note.) But, after all, so is cosmology, and
plate tectonics,  so let's not panic yet.

This  passage was meant to concede much about Darwinian Explanation and the
text to illustrate how any reasonably alert human being (like a child, for
instance) can expose its weaknesses.  I don't think there was anything bendy
about it.

For the promised larding, please look down.

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>

https://wordpress.clarku.edu/nthompson/