[FRIAM] The case for universal basic income UBI

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sun May 9 21:31:37 EDT 2021

I cannot make any general comments re the role of pervasive access to the supernatural in a society because my direct experience is limited to one instance. In fact, I know of only two extant examples within the Judaeo-Christian tradition (Mormons and the Society of Friends/Quakers) and one extinct example (Gnosticism).

You are absolutely correct vis-a-vis defectors. I am certain that there are more Mormon sects, many of which are no larger than an extended family, than in any other religion, including 2000 year old Catholicism. Absolutely sure on an per-capita basis.

Surprisingly, perhaps, there has been but one schism in Mormonism, the founding of the Reformed Church of Latter Day Saints, and that was more of a succession issue (Brigham Young won and 95% of the church membership followed him to Utah).

The doctrine of polygyny offers further illustration of the issue.

Within Mormonism, there was access to a transpersonal objective truth; at least in the sense that it would have been "surprising" if different people talking to the same God, received significantly variable revelations.  Brigham Young excoriated those that did not study and pray and understand doctrinal matters; but who simply obeyed whatever the leadership revealed to them.

Most of the really interesting examples and issues and resolutions occurred before Utah statehood, and you would be hard pressed to find even vestiges in the Church and Church Membership today. And, as I said at the beginning one example, however interesting is insufficient basis for generalization.

davew