[FRIAM] The case for universal basic income UBI

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Mon May 10 10:35:50 EDT 2021

I meant it seriously. Thank you for taking me seriously.

I agree that those extra "dimensions," rules, norms, laws, etc. are very
important. Do you believe they could all exist without a framework of money
to refer to, e.g., for penalties (e.g., for when an agreement is not met),
awards (e.g., as incentives for improved or more timely performance),
contracts, arbitration decision, etc? I'm skeptical. It's widely agreed
that one of the primary values of money is to facilitate trade between
people/organizations that don't have specific items to exchange. E.g.,
person A wants/needs something person B has "for sale" (whatever that means
in a non-money environment), but person B doesn't want/need anything person
A has "for sale," even though there are others who do want/need what person
A is "selling." Money makes such exchanges possible. How do you see it
happening without money?

More generally, how will society allocate human effort and physical
resources without money? (I'm surprised I hadn't thought of this earlier.
It seems like the core question. I know I mentioned it last time. I
surprised myself by finding it.) It doesn't seem feasible to me to have the
kinds of agreements/contracts you mentioned at the individual level for
each individual. It's still not clear to me how you see it all working.

-- Russ