[FRIAM] The case for universal basic income UBI

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Mon May 10 11:02:41 EDT 2021

Yes, I agree it's difficult. And I'm not suggesting I have any knowledge or expertise. But the principles I listed were intended as a foundation. Given that foundation, it's difficult for me to imagine *not* having anything other than money in common with any other trader. That extreme case, where one party has *zero* commonality with another party prevents us from realizing that in the overwhelming majority of concrete situations, there's significant commonality between the parties.

So, that's not the problem. The problem is in the quantification of goods/skills being traded. While it's reasonable to, say, trade a pickup truck for an espresso machine, matching pickup trucks to espresso machines (rust spots vs pressure specs, etc.), the measure that is money allows us to quantify them. E.g. my pickup truck is worth 10 of your espresso machines. That's the technology we call money.

A significant other aspect is that money (at least fiat) can be trasnmitted at light speed, which allows me to trade 1 *virtual* pickup truck for 10 *virtual* espresso machines and TRUST that reciprocity exists.

But both quantification and virtuality can be (are regularly) implemented in other dimensions. Money isn't absolutely, unquestionably necessary for them. (Though it's important that money may, in fact, be the best, most efficient/effective for some trades.)

And to go back to the extreme case, where the parties have 0 in common, literally *any* other dimension can be used as a 3rd, connective, material. Gold is a good one. Wooden chits might work. Marks on a wooden stick, maybe? 8^D All these are "money", writ large. But we don't have to think of them that way. They are reservoirs of value. Even if I don't actually *want* 10 espresso machines, I might trade my truck for them because I know 10 locals who do want them. 5 of those 10 locals will give me, say, playstation DVDs. 2 of them will give me coffee they've roasted. Etc. The 10 espresso machines act as money.

To see this happening today, consider options trading. You're buying the *rights* to some thing/action, virtualized things/actions. You might also see it in contract clauses like "right of first refusal". Any mediating reservoir of value might play the role played by money.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ