[FRIAM] “Don’t they have grandchildren?” was The case for universal basic income UBI

uǝlƃ ↙↙↙ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri May 21 10:55:37 EDT 2021

Interesting. We hear from righties like Brett Weinstein and Ben Shapiro all the time how postmodernists' "relativism" is diluting our culture and sending us on the path to Hell. Is this such a relativism?

I'm reminded of the "all sides" fallacy or the snowflake idea that any arbitrary opinion of any arbitrary person is just as "valid" as any other opinion of any other person. I blame psychotherapy. >8^D Nobody's ever *wrong*. We all just have different points of view! And we all deserve trophies just for participating.

Last week the concept of a broken clock being "right" twice per day came up. This highlights, I think, the differences between a) validity vs. soundness, b) descriptive vs. mechanistic models, and c) correlation vs. causation. The broken clock is *not* accurate twice per day. The clock is THE canonical mechanism. A "stopped clock" is almost self-contradictory. If it's stopped, it's not a clock.

So, no. Sure, The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels may be a valid view, in some unhinged yet logical fantasy. But it is *NOT* a sound, sensible, or rational view, any more than a stopped clock is right twice per day. Had it been written in, say, 1950, I might be more generous.

--
↙↙↙ uǝlƃ