[FRIAM] “Don’t they have grandchildren?” was The case for universal basic income UBI

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Fri May 21 12:05:47 EDT 2021

The world is the better for all not having the same views on everything.

Surely there's a difference between facts and opinions? Your  "*But it is
*NOT* a sound, sensible, or rational view, any more than a stopped clock is
right twice per day.*" is your opinion, it's not a fact.

Interesting work by Jonathan Haidt on different moral values of
libertarians
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0042366
.  It's good to be mindful in having a discussion with someone with
different moral values, you see the world with different biases.

*Take for example global warming.We might agree on the following facts:*
The earth has been getting warmer and the sea levels have been rising since
the end of the mini ice age circa 1850
CO2 contributes to the earth getting warmer
Humans are causing CO2 to increase

*What we might disagree on is in the interpretation of the facts, for
example:*
The use of RCP 8.5 as reason for alarm
The accuracy of the models, for example the significant differences between
balloon measurements and model predictions
The empirical evidence that the climate sensitivity is low enough that we
probably don't have reason for alarm about global warming
All the benefits of fossil fuels for humanity
The climategate evidence of deliberate dishonesty of prominent climate
scientists like Mickael Mann

The facts are not relative, it's absolute, so I don't subscribe to the
postmodernists' "relativism" for factual matters.

Our opinions are guided by our moral values. This is where it;s good to
allow others their place under the sun too.