[FRIAM] Permaculture; sustainable food production

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat May 22 11:04:14 EDT 2021

Pieter -

As Kathryn surely offered you, the field of "Permaculture" has
experienced a serious resurgence with a lot of practical demonstrations
of how *intense* multi-use land/animal/plant "husbandry" can be in terms
of production if careful thought and patience and respect for the land,
animals, plants, air, water, neighbors are practiced.   A great bit of
background to the spirit of the movement is Masanobu Fukouka's story.
Holmgren and Mollison are the "founders" of modern permaculture but
Fukouka is the Patron Saint IMO.

    https://www.chelseagreen.com/product/one-straw-revolutionary/

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Mollison

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Holmgren

The mainstream dialogue (if we must call it that) seems to be a highly
polarized tension between the devil-may-care pedal-to-the-metal
damn-the-torpedoes neoliberal/industrialist/extractionist ideal that we
just need to charge forward as fast as possible vs a sometimes blindly
idealistic draw to "wishing and hoping" that putting down our manic
hypercapitalism in disgust would yield instant utopia.

The Permaculture people ( I am at best a groupie ) "do the work" as they
say.   But in counterpoint to your point about it being labor intensive,
they make a very strong point of "productive laziness".   For example
the principle that every thing one does or makes or has should have at
least 3 purposes.   A fruit/nut tree offers fruit/nuts in season, shade
in the summer, wind-screen in the windy season, shelter and food for
birds,  etc.  A pond provides ... , ... , ... and ... ... ...

Permaculture *first* appealed to my optimizing/satisficing awareness
developed through my practices in science/engineering.   I *grew* to
appreciate the gentleness and reciprocity with nature that it inspires
(requires) as well as the slow-patience.

    Permaculture Design *principles*

    Catch and store energy: Develop systems that collect resources at
    peak abundance for use in times of need. Obtain a yield: Emphasize
    projects that generate meaningful rewards. Apply self-regulation and
    accept feedback: Discourage inappropriate activity to ensure that
    systems function well.

Here is a more elaborated, popularly accessible review:

    https://ethical.net/ethical/permaculture-principles/

I strongly believe that the "choice between hurting the environment and
letting people starve" is a false dichotomy, though it is fair to notice
that it is "hard to get from here to there", especially if we aspire to
do it quickly and without any discomforts and inconveniences.

I don't have a specific reference on the tip of my fingers but I believe
that Permaculture honestly aspires to address (holistically) all levels
of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs, with *food* being an easy/obvious one
for many to focus on.

- Steve