[FRIAM] “Don’t they have grandchildren?” Was: The case for universal basic income UBI

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Mon May 24 00:02:36 EDT 2021

Russ,

Good questions, all.

I wish I had good answers for any of them.

First, support for assertions.  It wasn’t that sort of piece of writing.  It was an “op-ed”, an answer to a rather silly article in SKEPTIC by John Hartung challenging  Wilson and Sober on the possibility of group selection.   To wildly over simplify, Hartung was confused about the relationship between group selected behavior, individual behavior, good, and evil.   If you let me know which assertions you particularly were curious about, I will try and remember how I came to believe them.

Second, my ruminations about a level playing field, which occurred to me only relatively recently,  are simply pulled out of my… um … armpit.   You are perhaps well positioned to evaluate the logic of them.  Natural selection cannot occur without additive genetic variance (genes as main effects).  Given all we have learned about Evo-devo since the 90’s it’s hard to understand how very many complex traits could possess the pleiotropic insularity to be a genetic main effect.  Or, if genes are thought of as the things selected, then every gene is favored by the sum effect across all of its pleiotropies, and I cannot see how any one trait-consequence can be freed from the others.  Once I suppose that genes are specific only to enzymes and enzymes have effects throughout the developmental process, It becomes very difficult for me to imagine how natural selection could have come about except via some scaffolding mechanism to support it and I cannot imagine in whose interest such a scaffolding mechanism might be.   That Eric Smith some sense in the question gave me some comfort for asking it, but his reply was beyond my depth, so I am still bemused.   Some force must have made genes selectable, made for two alleles to be equivalent but in only one phenotypic consequence, so that consequence could be cleanly selected for.  I suppose it might be possible to make an argument that selection itself  can create the “gene-rack” by gradually tidying up the pleiotropies, but I don’t yet see yet how it works.  That was all I was trying to get at with my level playing field metaphor, which I guess I now regret.

All the best,

Nick

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com