[FRIAM] Schwill Rock?

Jon Zingale jonzingale at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 12:38:52 EDT 2021

"Canal hopping is distinct from turning up the heat?"

In the Brownian limit, no, but otherwise yes.

"To *really* keep foraging it seems to me vast privilege is needed."

I hear you as advocating for academia-like institutions, here? I
understand the classic arguments, that it is difficult to research
one's interests in quantum computers without IBM's sponsorship, but as
you put it here:

"I slowly plod through a paper only to learn the idea is basically simple",

and so in theory, not that much harder.

Still, that is the case if one's needs stay fixed on some particular
prize. Further still, my daily experience persists in that much of
what I learn about linear algebra (or really just about anything)
comes from holding such ideas in contexts away from academic papers.
In the meantime, a vast many are sacrificed so that our institutions
can bestow such privileges on a few. I personally don't believe it is
worth it to me or to the goals of our culture. I understand the
behavior of these institutions to be a short sighted kind of gradient
ascent, leaving an every more brittle Pareto distribution in its wake.