[FRIAM] [dis]integrated

uǝlƃ ☤>$ gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 19:03:43 EDT 2021

Well, it seems obvious to me (admittedly at risk of imputation or Dunning-Kruger) that we all have both modes in our repertoire. Maybe there are subsets of us who lean hard one way or the other. But I guess that just kicks the can down the road. Too much soldier ⇒ not recognizing when to switch to scout mode. And vice versa, like those pitiful truth-s[uc|ee]kers stuck in a conversation with a zero-sum logicbro.

It's error-correcting self-attention loops all the way down ... and up. And if you're not exercising your  low/fast interrupts (capsaicin , yoga, LSD, whatever), then you're probably not exercising your high/slow interrupts (active listening, abandoning pet theories, etc.). The idea that we can strengthen the high/slow interrupts without also strengthening the low/fast ones seems fideistic to me ... like telekinesis or somesuch.

Tangentially, I'm somewhat of a fan of Goertzel. But this worries me:

Evidence for Psi: Thirteen Empirical Research Reports
https://bookshop.org/books/evidence-for-psi-thirteen-empirical-research-reports/9780786478286

Maybe one of you has read it? I'm told it contains some fantastic nuggets about statistics, which makes me want a copy. And this video presents a good argument, regardless of the gist:

How I learned to love pseudoscience
https://youtu.be/bWV0XIn-rvY

But I worry about my own ability to switch from scout to soldier ... which is why the right-wing morons I talk to at the pub don't immediately murder me. Once they get to know me, they don't love me anymore.

--
"Better to be slapped with the truth than kissed with a lie."
☤>$ uǝlƃ