[FRIAM] the cancellation arc

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Sep 14 15:01:50 EDT 2021

Glen -

Fascinating synthetic dream-experience!  I have a LOT of those
(qualitatively entirely synthetic best I can tell) and generally revel
in them.  I don't have conventional "nightmares" but the kind of
vividness you report combined with various (nearly?) unsolvable problems
can be *very* tedious and to the extent I am almost always semi-lucid in
my dreams I often court "changing the channel" and occasionally actually
cancel the whole series in my head over such irritating tedium.

I have my own chronic (hip/leg some back) pain which bleeds over in
sleep/dreams to some extent which may actually contribute to my
remaining semi-lucid in most if not all of my dreams.   I mis-ascribe
the pain/discomfort sometimes.

As a teen I became acutely aware of the idea that the narratives of our
dreams are somewhat (significantly if not entirely?) post-hoc
fictions.   I was taking my near-daily cat-nap between end-of-school and
my night job when I had an excruciatingly frightening dream that
included someone crying for help.   I grogilly came out of the dream to
realize that someone across the road from where we lived was in fact
repeatedly and loudly but not hysterically calling out for HELP!  I
roused myself and followed the sound to a heavy-machinery yard about 100
yards away where the owner had accidentally lowered the blade of his
road-grader onto his foot and was trapped by it.   He had put a 2x4
block under the blade (for whatever he was doing on the hydraulics?) so
his foot wasn't sheared or even damaged as far as I could tell, just
trapped.   He quickly talked me through operating the hydraulic lever
that would release the pressure so he could pull his foot out and resume
his project.

The point of this long-winded virtue-signalling anecdote is simply that
my dream was *full* of details and pretexts that built up the
dream-reason for someone to be yelling HELP that had nothing at all to
do with the *actual* real-life reason.   The dream ceased as I woke,
possibly only about 5 "HELP"s into the deal (2-5 mins) so the entire
dream that was subjectively an hour or more of buildup to it... I had
probably been asleep less than 15 mins as well.

This realization changed the nature of my lucid dreaming quite a bit as
I *think* I had always assumed dreams happened in real-time and in
linear-causal order, but coming to suspect that they could be hung
together post-hoc a lot like one might write a novel or other fiction.

This is also (might be?)  why I am sympathetic with what you have called
out as "just so" stories... post-hoc rationalizations for
"whatever"...   feels a bit like both overfitting and/or arbitrary
elision of data to support a pre-hoc narrative... what passes for
"news-opinion" through most outlets most of the time it seems.

As I seek the "true nature" of collective consciousness I'm left
noticing that one of the things that comes with it seems to be "dreaming
other people's dreams".   Our elaborate literary, theatrical, cinematic
heritage is only getting more and more finely hashed into sensory-bites
across more and more sensory channels which elude our (heretofore?)
naive intuition about what is the truth and what is a lie.

DeepFakeNews.

- Steve