[FRIAM] "epistemic status"

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Sep 29 17:15:32 EDT 2021

On 9/29/21 7:26 AM, uǝlƃ ☤>$ wrote:
> Do you know what you know?
> A Confidence Calibration Exercise
> http://confidence.success-equation.com/

I share Glen's interest in retaking such a test under different personal
contexts.   I found some of the questions seemingly a little disingenous
and was surprised by the modest number that were easy to answer with
high confidence.  A randomly selected set from a larger group might give
me a slightly different mix of these.

Unsurprisingly (to me if not everyone), my Percent Correct was lower
than Glen's while my Confidence was higher.

The only thing I feel a little proud of was that most of my high
confidence answers were in fact correct.

I think I might have gotten better scores if I'd followed an intuition
that the questions were worded to yield an equal distribution of
true/false questions... I definitely allowed my own optimistic nature to
bias toward answering "yes" rather than "no" when I had low
confidence.   A second pass through the questions with that in mind
would probably have had me flipping some of my low-confidence "true"s to
low confidence "false"s.  Maybe this is an incorrect assumption about
the design of the test.

I may take it again to see if that improves my hit rate...   I think my
performance *would* be skewed by having seen the evaluation...  knowing
that a few of my high confidence answers were *wrong* will surely yield
a few more "hedged bets" there...   if I study the results with an eye
to improving my scores, I can probably recognize a few other systematic
areas for improvement.