[FRIAM] wtf I thought nuclear weapons was banned since...forever

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sun Aug 28 22:03:04 EDT 2022

Pandora's cats are out of the bag and nothing will put them back.   I'm
not religious but the whole "original sin" thing is a good allegory for
how hard (impossible) it is to go backwards... even when that would be
the very best thing to do (were it possible).   There is no "undo"
button... entropy does increase... time does march forward, and "the
only way out is through".   I can't even begin to guess what it would
look like for humanity to collectively evolve (I suppose societally, not
genetically/individually) to the point that we really can put down
obviously dead-end ideations like "Mutual Assured Destruction" across
the board.

Post Apocalyptic fiction suggests that the only remedy is an
Atlantean-class collapse and "great forgetting" of the shite we know
about being horribly cruel and destructive to one another (and by
extension or vice-versa, the planet/universe?).    I *do* think that
there is an "enlightened self-interest* path that is armatured around an
expanding sense of "self" as well as "interest" AND "enlightenment", but
the specifics are an "exercise for the student (as a collective).   I
doubt we are going to sort this in my lifetime and maybe not in my
grandchildren's, but that is no reason *not* to try to understand what
that would look like and seek it.

993,765 steps forward and a similar number back?   Progress is
incremental until it isn't.   Aphorisms 'R US.