[FRIAM] NOW IS: Oh, Woe, Academia! WAS: gene complex for homosexuality

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Jan 14 14:44:22 EST 2022

Steve writes:

"Amateurs then?   Done (studied) for the love of..."

Particularly impressive (or confusing) to me are people that can find a boundary on their paid work to pursue random scholarly things.  (Scholarly in the way Glen describes it.)  For me it always kind of makes sense to relinquish all other things in pursuit of the paid work.   That mercenary aspect of the corporate or startup culture kind of suppresses independent thought.  One place I interviewed at asked how I felt about walking around the office.  I didn't understand why he would ask that.  I said something like "Sure, to clear your head."  But it was the wrong answer.  The owner was apparently lurking around the building to see who was busy and who was screwing around.  They wanted to select against that behavior.

Marcus