[FRIAM] Struck me as funny

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Jan 24 13:57:35 EST 2022

Merle writes:

< Anyway, his research field is nanotechnology.  Is it here?  Where has it been applied?  Is it an incredibly generative technology that will change our near-term future?  HELP, and thanks. >

A new Mac laptop uses a 5 nm fabrication process.   The silicon atoms from which it is constructed have an atomic radius of 0.132 nm.  There is still some room at the bottom, but there isn't tons of it.  What's happening as chips get smaller and smaller is that quantum effects become harder to mitigate.

Quantum computers aim to take advantage of these quantum effects to achieve massive parallelization.  Some approaches to building quantum computers take advantage of the tools of nanotechnology, for example, atomic tweezers that can manipulate individual cesium atoms.  Other tools from nanotechnology, like electron beam lithography are used to fabricate superconducting quantum processors sort of like an etch-a-sketch.

Meanwhile, cryogenic electron microscopy is almost routine for the study of cells, enzymes, and pathogens.

Nanotechnology is being used to design new kinds of batteries and solar panels and to understand how to design materials to have desirable properties.

I'm not sure where nanotechnology ends and material science, chemical engineering, or synthetic biology begin.  I think they all overlap to some extent.  They all are concerned with making and understanding the interaction of inconceivably tiny structures..

Marcus