[FRIAM] Automata with FFT

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Sep 27 13:38:29 EDT 2022

DaveW -

Very well articulated and I am pleased to hear the background of Go4 and
OOPSLA, etc.   I particularly appreciate your casting it as a solution
vs problem space problem.

I read _Notes on the Synthesis of Form_ in tandem with Kauffman's
_Investigations_ while on a month-vacation in NZ during the Gore-Bush
hanging-chad business at the end of 2000.  It was a very liminal and
therefore pivotal time for me to be reading these things.   I
pre-ordered Alexander's "Nature of Order_ and read them (often with
great suffering) as they came in over several years of publication (I
forget the dates, probably ending around 2005 ?).   I did not know (or
appreciate) the links from this work to Catholic Fundamentalism, but
will look at them with a new eye as a result.   I was also trying to tie
in Lakoff's work on _Metaphors we Live by_ and _Embodied Mathematics_ at
the time, as well as Hofstadter/Mitchell's _Analogical Reasoning_  into
a coherent *apprehension* (not theory or treatise) of at least one of
our *many* modes of apprehending the world, built and found.

- SS