[FRIAM] [EXT] News Alert: Most young men are single. Most young women are not.

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Feb 22 17:04:09 EST 2023

In a very limited and somewhat ad-hoc (latin hypercube of 10 samples of
5 variables) ensemble study (100,000 samples) I did with an NREL
colleague in 2019 using the World3 Model  we found a very ad-hoc
observation that among the various ideas of what was a "good outcome" in
2100 (like GDP/person or other vernacular ideas of "quality of life")
that virtually *all* of them involved a sooner-rather-than-later
population collapse.

To the extent that Modeling (in general), SD modeling more particularly
and the World3 model in particular I wasn't very inclined to take the
quantitative results of any of very seriously but it was an interesting
(but unsurprising) qualitative result?

For anyone interested in an interactive web implementation to dork with
yourself:

https://insightmaker.com/insight/2pCL5ePy8wWgr4SN8BQ4DD/The-World3-Model-Classic-World-Simulation

FWIW I dorked around with it in honor of Jimmy Carter's recent admission
to a hospice program... looking at what it might have meant if we'd
followed his lead back around 1978.   Worth noting, I (foolishly by
hindsight) helped run him out of town to be replaced with Ronnie Raygun
...   "drill baby drill, burn baby burn!"

And an excerpt from a recent (2020) update synopsis of the Limits to
Growth project/idea/model/results:

<https://mahb.stanford.edu/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/yale-publication-1.pdf>

Worth noting:  The population drops in BAU/BAU2 (Biznezz as Usual)
represent increased death rates rather than reduced fertility rates.

The bigger (or smaller by another measure) question of what decisions
anyone of us might make (for ourselves, our progeny, our friends,
whatever policy-making is in our jurisdiction, in our imagination) is a
much trickier one based on myriad principles/values that likely few of
us share unless we choose a high dimension-reduction strategy (e.g.
single-issue conception).    My parents were overtly ZPG advocates and I
have one sister which lead me to feel plenty "done" after 2 children
myself. Each of my 2 have chosen to only have 1.  Many of my friends
have chosen to be childless.  Most of my peers who were from large
sibling groups have at best a replacement cohort among their children
and nieces/nephews which are headed toward a NPG in the following
generation.

My current heuristic is that if I want my grandchildren to reproduce, I
need to get out of the way which means unless their other grandparents
don't have the grace of knocking off by the time they want to do that,
then it is up to me... no open-ended life-extension unless I expect to
leave the planet (hear my pain Elon?)   I don't think the World3 has
been updated to be a Sol model and even considering it really challenges
the very structure/concept of the World3 SD model!

Most of the population growth models I've run into suggest that we might
be on our way to(ward) ZPG with many regions going into NPG, but not
until we pass 10B.  I don't know that *any* of them factor in the
non-linear effects of possible/likely runaway global warming or species
collapse.