[FRIAM] [EXT] News Alert: Most young men are single. Most young women are not.

Russell Standish lists at hpcoders.com.au
Wed Feb 22 18:16:17 EST 2023

I did a calculation based on a steady growth rate followed by
extinction and anthropic reasoning (aka as the "doomsday argument"),
and came up with a 50% chance of population collapse by 2100. This was
based on 2005 population figures. See appendix B of my book "Theory of
Nothing". I haven't bothered publishing that study elsewhere.

Of course - the steady growth rate assumption is extreme. We know that
the population growth rate is decreasing, with the inflection point a
couple of decades ago. On current demographics, the earth's population
will peak around 2070, and then go into a bit of decline, with some
countries such as China going into reverse considerably sooner (eg I
believe 2030s is the current prediction for China to start having a
declining population).

Natural population decline due to declining fertility is much
preferable to a hard extinction extinction, of course, particular on a
century timescale. So we should live with the fact that we may not
have any grandchildren/great grandchildren whatever your stage of life
is. I'm already comfortable with that - I doubt I'll have any
grandchildren :).

On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 03:10:45PM -0700, Gillian Densmore wrote:
> WTF, how are they coming up with these numbers? I know it sucks a whales ******
> these days to make friends. Much less a GF (or BF).  But something aint adding
> up here. Did they ask both people in the relationship?
>
> On Wed, Feb 22, 2023 at 3:04 PM Steve Smith <sasmyth at swcp.com> wrote:
>

>     In a very limited and somewhat ad-hoc (latin hypercube of 10 samples of 5
>     variables) ensemble study (100,000 samples) I did with an NREL colleague in
>     2019 using the World3 Model  we found a very ad-hoc observation that among
>     the various ideas of what was a "good outcome" in 2100 (like GDP/person or
>     other vernacular ideas of "quality of life") that virtually *all* of them
>     involved a sooner-rather-than-later population collapse.
>
>     To the extent that Modeling (in general), SD modeling more particularly and
>     the World3 model in particular I wasn't very inclined to take the
>     quantitative results of any of very seriously but it was an interesting
>     (but unsurprising) qualitative result?
>
>     For anyone interested in an interactive web implementation to dork with
>     yourself:
>
>         https://insightmaker.com/insight/2pCL5ePy8wWgr4SN8BQ4DD/
>     The-World3-Model-Classic-World-Simulation
>
>     FWIW I dorked around with it in honor of Jimmy Carter's recent admission to
>     a hospice program... looking at what it might have meant if we'd followed
>     his lead back around 1978.   Worth noting, I (foolishly by hindsight)
>     helped run him out of town to be replaced with Ronnie Raygun ...   "drill
>     baby drill, burn baby burn!"
>
>     And an excerpt from a recent (2020) update synopsis of the Limits to Growth
>     project/idea/model/results:
>

>     [cid]
>
>     Worth noting:  The population drops in BAU/BAU2 (Biznezz as Usual)
>     represent increased death rates rather than reduced fertility rates.
>
>     The bigger (or smaller by another measure) question of what decisions
>     anyone of us might make (for ourselves, our progeny, our friends, whatever
>     policy-making is in our jurisdiction, in our imagination) is a much
>     trickier one based on myriad principles/values that likely few of us share
>     unless we choose a high dimension-reduction strategy (e.g. single-issue
>     conception).    My parents were overtly ZPG advocates and I have one sister
>     which lead me to feel plenty "done" after 2 children myself.   Each of my 2
>     have chosen to only have 1.  Many of my friends have chosen to be
>     childless.  Most of my peers who were from large sibling groups have at
>     best a replacement cohort among their children and nieces/nephews which are
>     headed toward a NPG in the following generation.
>
>     My current heuristic is that if I want my grandchildren to reproduce, I
>     need to get out of the way which means unless their other grandparents
>     don't have the grace of knocking off by the time they want to do that, then
>     it is up to me... no open-ended life-extension unless I expect to leave the
> [...]

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders     hpcoder at hpcoders.com.au
                      http://www.hpcoders.com.au