[FRIAM] [EXT] News Alert: Most young men are single. Most young women are not.

Santafe desmith at santafe.edu
Thu Feb 23 05:41:23 EST 2023

There is a skewness in the various analyses of these things (in the sense of two lines of non-common direction embedded in enough dimensions that they never meet) that makes the various claims unusable unless one will not be lazy.  That puts it out of my reach.

Rees, Seibert, and the others, have their nice 1-page digestable list of slogans why “It’s all Bullshit!”.  There they talk about how obviously wind and solar power are _Just NOT_ sustainable, because they are carried to the site by fossil-fuel-powered trucks.  And similar sort of qualitative no-go claims.

In a brief luxury of house-cleaning following what seemed to be months of continuous crises, I was catching up on some older reading on figures of merit for various energy technologies, and got, by various routes, to the claim that the embodied energy of solar PV is about 3kWh/Wp, where Wp = “watt produced”.  So one is looking at about 3000 hours before the power delievered is over-and-above replacement.  People estimate that, in calendar time, that translates to values between 1 and 6 years or so, for a product that should have about a 20-year lifecycle.  Now, that embodied energy estimate came from somewhere, and the people producing it were probably not oil company shills.  So does it include Bill Rees’s oil-powered truck, or not?  Meaning, does he just throw it all into the dustbin with a wave of common sense, or is he being lazy and neither following through an argument nor admitting what would be needed to follow it through, and estimating how far we are from that.

Apparently, there are various “Scopes” of power consumption that go into sustainability reporting law.  I won’t remember them properly, but Scope 1 is something like your own power consumed in manufacturing; Scope 2 is some measure of power used by others either before or after (sorry; not time to go find this now), and Scope 3 is the whole supply-line analysis, prorated for the part you use.  I look at Scope 3, and it looks like hard accounting to do, but I don’t know if that means it is a pipe dream, or if usable approximations are available for certain domains.  (U. Exeter I think tries to contribute such data, or collaborate with companies that do.)

The recursion, which is a tree, seems easy enough to visualize (as in a SFe bumper sticker).  If you don’t like the oil-powered truck, replace it with a non-oil-powered truck.  What is the embodied energy of the replacement, prorated over all the things it will haul, and what is the operating energy cost of this task.  And then so on for the factory that builds the truck, the mining machinery that extracts any new ores, or the recycling plant that salvages retired materials, etc.  When people estimate embodied energy costs for this or that technology, are they putting in some defensible estimate or placeholder for this recursion, or not?  Seems like a simple enough question to ask.  But I spend time in conversations with people who do this (not a _ton_ of time, but a little), and I don’t know the answer.

I understand, also (since it is obvious), that just an energy accounting is only a baseline for constraint.  There is then the much harder and more detailed accounting of whether you have a process for each step.  So, for example: There’s a minimum chemical free energy cost to separate the rare earth dopants from silicon to recycle a retired solar cell, which will need to become the process once the high-grade ores are not available, but do you have a process that performs that extraction and purification?  Stuff like that.  That becomes all the labor-intensive “industrial ecology” research (I think they call it) to try to turn some of the sloganeering into usable inputs for a designer.

Thanks Steve for forwarding the LtG plots.  I read that one too.  They are trying to bypass the detailed industrial ecology, and hope that within some number of orders of magnitude, they can do something like a conserved-quantity bound on what is possible by any process.  The economists have, since the original came out, tried to dismiss that line of reasoning (again with a hand-wave), by claiming that one doesn’t know about conservation laws between rates and quantities, and since LtG hasn’t accounted for “human innovation”, they can safely be ignored.  Of course, I understand that that argument is not only pretty sure to be wrong (and provably wrong for a few simple cases where I know how to calculate), but also made in either bad faith or laziness.  But the question it begs is: what can we prove is unreachable by any level of innovation, for the same reasons perpetual motion machines are impossible?  Those rate/state no-go theorems are a lot harder to prove.

Eric