[FRIAM] NickC channels DaveW

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Jan 18 13:09:47 EST 2023

On 1/18/23 9:30 AM, cody dooderson wrote:
> Would it be possible for some hologram people (maybe Steve Smith and
> associates), to turn one of these convolutional neural networks into
> an optical convolutional network?

Nevermore!

Sadly, even when Fred Unterseher (LAVA Holographics) was still alive and
had his lab functioning, I don't know that we could have pulled more
than a mundane demonstration of even the simplest example of this off.

There were times when we tried to put some formal understanding on the
very ad-hoc/intuitive *mandalas* he created as an
art/spiritual/meditative form.  There were times when two or more of
them hanging in a window (so very nearly perfect coherent light from the
sun) would throw diffraction patterns back and forth and we were left
speculating as to whether they were perhaps doing some kind of
interesting (if not directedly useful) "computation".

> I could see a bunch of layers of tiny lenses with different 'weights'
> doing the same thing as say a YOLO object detection network.

I had a short side-gig with the State Department right after the fall of
the Soviet Union when they were actively running a "keep a Soviet
Scientist off the Street" program to augment the "loose Nuke" wrangling
going on at the time.   One of the more fascinating papers I reviewed
for them was on "optical computing" and at the time (I was about your
(Cody's) age at the time, maybe a few years younger even) felt to be
very close to what you are talking about.

Standing in for your term "tiny optical lenses" would have been
"holographic optical elements" (HOEs) which in fact might not have been
quite as *discrete* as lenses, but rather a (near)
continuum/distribution of diffraction plenum (my made up term). Fred's
specialty was in using organic light-sensitive materials which recorded
constructive/destructive patterns as thickness in a gel rather than the
silver-halide photographic processes which recorded as silver-grain
sizes.   The optics/physics implications are subtle and I don't pretend
to be able to dredge much of *that* out of my rear-view mirror but I
believed (with limited support) at the time that the differences *might*
have been important (especially in the Mandala-Mandala-Mandala
interactions) to the fidelity of the wave-structures being iterated
optically.

Thanks for the nod, even if all I can offer in response is some
neurodivergent spastic head (and tongue) wagging back at ya!

- Steve