[FRIAM] Learning about Bayesian Statistics

Nick Thompson nickthompson at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 3 00:21:56 EST 2019

Thank you, George,

I will look into it.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

 <http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/> http://home.earthlink.net/~nickthompson/naturaldesigns/

From: Friam [mailto:friam-bounces at redfish.com] On Behalf Of George Duncan
Sent: Saturday, February 02, 2019 11:33 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <Friam at redfish.com>
Subject: [FRIAM] Learning about Bayesian Statistics

At Friday's church service Nick asked about how one might learn the basics of Bayesian statistics. I said I would think about it, and so here are my conclusions.

For historical and philosophical background: Read The Emergence of Probability by Ian Hacking

For a systematic course: Take Coursera, Bayesian Statistics, a course from Duke University with a 7-day free trial.

Also of course there are several reasonable texts on Bayesian Statistics.

George Duncan

Emeritus Professor of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
georgeduncanart.com <http://georgeduncanart.com/>

See posts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram

Land: (505) 983-6895

Mobile: (505) 469-4671

My art theme: Dynamic exposition of the tension between matrix order and luminous chaos.

"Attempt what is not certain. Certainty may or may not come later. It may then be a valuable delusion."

>From "Notes to myself on beginning a painting" by Richard Diebenkorn.

"It's that knife-edge of uncertainty where we come alive to our truest power." Joanna Macy.