[FRIAM] Abducktion

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Sun Aug 9 22:12:23 EDT 2020

There ought to be some good version of this conversation that juggles both considerations of precision and questions of good or bad faith.

One of my least-favorite ways to spend a few minutes is by being attached by one of these people who seem to take their identity from all the ones they can stand in judgment over, on the ground that I have just used the third-person English singular pronoun and am therefore a domineering chauvinist.  I wish to offer such a person to switch into conversing in Bahasa Indonesia, where we can just use “dia” everywhere, since that language does not use gendered 3rd-person singulars.  The economists’ convention of substituting “she” everywhere received English uses “he” also doesn’t seem great, in the sense that one goes from something that was not “marked” syntactically, and was marked in pragmatics for those carrying a social upset, to something that becomes explicitly marked for everybody, and more openly calls out gender than by using a default.  So one doesn’t escape marking; one just gets to choose whether it is marked to everybody or only for some people, and how.

The replacement of the 3rd-sg by “they” seems somehow disappointing, in that we have lost the ability to make gender distinctions if they happen to exist.  One could here switch the conversation from one of precision to one of good faith, and go through the corpus of all English locutions, and ask in how many of them the speaker has any business mentioning gender, even if a definite gender exists.  If there are few, then the loss of precision is small.

However, it may not be quite as small as one would think if one were only cataloguing that, in pragmatics, anyone who doesn’t consciously exclude references to gender has deliberately committed a wrong.  I am aware, because I spend a lot of time in the company of Filipinos, who grew up speaking a western Malayo-polynesian language that does not use gendered pronouns, that (a subset of them) often seem to switch in a quasi-random way between he or she, if there is one of each in the discourse.  What gets obliterated turns out to be pronoun-antecedent agreement.  One realizes in these Taglish contexts that English has come to make use of gender distinctions in dependent clauses, to refer back to who is the actor and who the acted upon (or lots of other prepositional relations), by using the extra layer of gender tagging in the back reference.  I will often be successfully following the thread of a sentence or conversation, and one of these random-variable pronouns will be thrown in, at which point suddenly a grammatical trace that I would have done in Broca without conscious attention goes completely haywire, and I have to go back to medial prefrontal and the pragmatics of the conversation, to identify where the dependent clause attaches back into the thread of who had what relation to whom.  Of course, one can puzzle it all out, but one goes back to trying to follow sentences at the level one uses in a new language, not a fluent one.  All that to say, if we do want to abandon gendered 3rd-person pronouns, there will probably need to be various other adjustments that grow into the language to lead it away to referential dependencies it got into the habit of using on such pronouns, over the history in which they have been available.

On the other hand, though, back to precision, the argument can go either way.  Often I specifically want to refer to a gender-nonspecified third person, the living equivalent to an “it”.  English makes it impossible for me to do so.  I have been told that there are many languages in Africa (which probably means, Bantu), that maintain 12 versions of “we”.  All combinations of the inclusive/exclusive w.r.t. the listener, as well as gender combinations.  Those speakers are really in a handicap if they want to make a generic referent.  So the loss of a generic to a set of specifics can create other imprecisions that arise constantly.

Clearly these things can drift, and languages adjust around them.  Dutch-Frisian-English have shed much of the gender marking in West Germanic that German has kept.  North Germanic (the Scandinavians) have shed even more, as part of that seems like a diversity-reduction in many structures.  Some typologist somewhere could regale us for hours with all the other little adjustments that co-occur across the languages, as necessary functions get relocated in other parts or other levels of grammar or pragmatics.

Eric