[FRIAM] Logo/Ideo/Phono graphic language

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Tue Oct 13 12:32:50 EDT 2020

Hi Steve,

A linguist I knew who had written on this as a core theme was Bill Wong, then at the City University of Hong Kong (where I hoped to visit, but sadly never did), and apparently more findable as an emeritus at Berkely than at either of the Hong Kongs (City or Chinese, where I think he went for a time):
https://lx.berkeley.edu/william-s-y-wang <https://lx.berkeley.edu/william-s-y-wang>

Bill was interested in the way ideographic writing allowed a much more rapid progression of homophony, as one now finds in standard Mandarin, which is much more reduced than Cantonese in terms of tones and (to a lesser degree) vowels, though not as reduced as modern Cantonese in terms of fricatives.  Bill used to claim that if one watches carefully around Beijing, one can see in complicated conversations, people having to sketch characters in the air to make non-obvious distinctions in which word is meant.  Steve G has lived and worked there and understood what was going on around him, and can perhaps comment on this.

I remember a draft manuscript Bill gave me to read maybe 18 years ago now, about how ideographic writing has particular strengths that are lost with a transition to alphabets or syllabaries.  Also, I am told there is a tradition of magic-square-poetry in Chinese, where something like a tic-tac-toe array of characters is supposed to be readable as a meaningful expression along each column and maybe rows or diagonals.  I think that came from Jay Garfield at Smith college, not from Bill, but I am not very sure of that sourcing.  I expect that, if one had time and inclination, a reading tree starting with Bill's review articles would lead rapidly to harder stuff.

It has also always made me wonder about the thinking behind the simplified characters.  In a careful study, did inserting random strokes in place of meaningful radicals really increase the rates of language learning?  If so, it surprises me and says something either about the nature of learning written languages, or at least about the way they were being taught.

I thought katakana arose as fragmentary writing by noble-family women relatively late, and I recall having read more but not remembering it.  How it got adopted as the standard form for foreign expressions and some more minor usages is surely something one can find in standard language books, but I have not read.

The other syllabary, hiragana, is probably inescapable when you have characters for lexical roots borrowed into a language with agglutinating syntax, which Chinese does not have.  It doesn’t help, either, that there were multiple waves of Chinese influence, at different times and from different groups on the mainland, in Japan over many hundreds of years.  So add to the 2 or 3 indigenous pronunciations from groups that clearly stayed close to home, the 3 or 4 or 5 borrowed forms from China, and it is a wonder anyone ever knows which pronunciation for anything should be used.  I always find it interesting when we get student applications for things, and the (very traditional and classically educated) chair of the selection committee circulates the applications, with an apology that he doesn’t know how the first names should be pronounced if there are not hiragana traces to indicate.  Having markers to indicate nominal or verbal forms as well as case or aspect should lessen the cognitive load while reading, of having to go a few characters downstream to back-parse what role the earlier characters were taking in the sentence.  Probably for some things like case or aspect, they couldn’t be disambiguated at all without the hiragana.

I wish I were good enough at my day job to have the time or actually put in the effort to be a Japanophile, or anything else that would be interesting to really understand.

Best,

Eric