[FRIAM] Application of robo-pigeon in ethological studies of bird flocks

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Nov 12 18:18:02 EST 2021

I have a friend who cut her teeth as a lawyer (finance) in Hong Kong
maybe 15 years ago... she has since returned to Australia (via a gig in
Japan) and *hates* what is happening in HK and can list endlessly the
friends/colleagues whose lives have been damaged/disrupted by the
changes there.

This being said, however, it *does* seem like what is happening there is
the end of a century plus long occupation/colonization. She and her
friends/colleagues are all professional/merchant class and none are
ethnically Chinese.  Not surprising the changes are mostly downside to them?

Juarez, Tijuana, Nogales SA all used to feel like US colonies in many
ways.   They were "returned" to MX proper to some degree by the War on
Drugs and the Drug Cartel action and now becoming portals for attempted
immigration from yet more southerly/impoverished countries.   I have a
lifelong friend who used to run the Zenith assembly plant in Agua Prieta
SA...  she would claim that their presence there for several decades was
a huge boon to the people there, as was their strategic (for Zenith, not
the local economy) withdrawal.  Of course she saw it that way.   My
brother-in-law who recently retired as the longest-tenured employee (~50
years) of Freeport McMorran (who bought him up when they bought up
Phelps Dodge) would insist that it is all "upside" for the people who
once lived on the landscape where their mega pit-mines were developed
and where their private armies (FPM,not PD) were in charge of all the
necessary "rousting" to get and keep those mines
running/expanding/profit-maximized.

But back to Nick's point (or to yet another of my tangents from his
point)...   the Buddhist phrase "World as battleground, world as trap,
world as lover, world as self" seems relevant?  If we consider these
contexts *only* as traps and battlegrounds, that is pretty much what
they will be.  Stephen G through his former (and some present) work and
familial relations in China has chose to *also* look at them (country,
people, government) through the lenses of "Lover" and "Self)?