[FRIAM] Has anybody been lookiung at covid numbers

Jacqueline Kazil jackiekazil at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 00:10:13 EST 2021

Hi! Jackie here. Nick, I too can get hysterical about Covid. I left DC for
Missouri and lived on a dead-end street in the country with my in-laws for
almost a year sharing a bedroom with my three year old and newborn. Then my
mom was in an intensive care situation after an accident - for 52 days.
This was in Florida during the summer surge -- at one point covid
positivity rate was > 25% in the county she was in.  I couldn't leave
Florida, because my baby's daycare in DC has a covid policy that you had to
quarantine if your house was exposed to a covid positivity rate of >10% &
my moms hospital had a policy that said you had to quarantine if you leave
the state of Florida, you had a to quarantine (I didn't understand this
one. This was a policy for the sake of having a policy. All other states
were better places to be). With these two policies in play, despite not
seeing my children for more than a month and having to quit breastfeeding,
I decided not to travel home... and sometimes life sucks. [As I write this,
I feel like this is a simulation in the works.]

In Florida during the time with my mom, I was pushed outside of my comfort
zone. I was in an environment where a lot of the population feels
differently than I do about safety. I also was walking into hospitals with
covid patients where vaccinated nurses were dropping like flies. I gave up
a little, because of the stress I only had so much energy to worry about
covid. A friend even convinced me to eat in a restaurant indoors -- barely,
once.

I just looked up Santa Fe county, and it is just over 10% covid positivity
rate.
https://covidactnow.org/us/new_mexico-nm/county/santa_fe_county/?s=25691480

Covid positivity rate is supposed to be a signal of knowledge spreading. I
would say over 10% right before Thanksgiving is probably a not a good place
to be. This means it is spreading and people know, but some don't. With
families getting together -- the "some don't" part is not good.

With my experience of being in various environments, I would say that if I
were in a place with a rate of 10% or higher, I would worry enough to
batten down the hatches for the holidays, because... sometimes life sucks.
I would limit the number of people I interacted with.

Also to consider in this equation -- how many people already had covid that
already counted in the vaccine numbers.