[FRIAM] Another Stunning Hydrogen Development - Retake Our Democracy

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Feb 7 12:27:41 EST 2022

On 2/6/22 8:31 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> https://thebulletin.org/2022/01/whether-green-blue-or-turquoise-hydrogen-needs-to-be-clean-and-cheap/

    ///Low-cost fossil fuel resources are finite. Someday it will simply
    not be possible to burn oil, natural gas, and coal for the
    affordable heat, electricity, and motive power humans need to power
    their prosperous societies./
    ////

Must we always begin with the assumption that growth in terms of
geographical/geometric, material and energy consumption/appropriation
are requisite to continuing/growing a "prosperous society"?
Tangentially (or not), if "green" hydrogen implies a 2:1 ratio of CO2
production to H2 but often begins with fossil fuels, it is obviously yet
another "kick the can down the road" solution.   Harvesting solar and
direct-solar/lunar-derived energy (including wind, tidal) and channeling
it through our living (including technological infrastructure and
agri-industry) systems to yield high-entropy "waste heat" seems to be
orders of magnitude more sustainable (if still questionable on some very
long time-scale limited by a Dyson-Sphere-like-limit).    If the H2 is
created by cracking H20 (and capturing both to be recombined later to
release energy) using solar (and other renewables) energy it is a
*closed cycle*.  One would presume the total amount of H2 we would have
stored/

 From ecology there comes the observed phenomena of "island syndrome"
which can include island dwarfism and poikilothermy which are both
driven by reducing the demand on finite resources without giving up
function or complexity.

 From Alexander Payne comes the absurdist SciFi flick Downsizing
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downsizing_(film)#Plot> which postulates
by shrinking humans by ???-fold (5 inches tall ~= 12:1 in 1 dimension,
144:1 in cross section and 1728:1 in volume/mass... )  the movie implies
no change in metabolic rates which would nominally speed up with
"shrinkage", yielding (also) shorter lifespans.   Oh well.. Fiction.
But the point would seem well taken... Gaia would get a 2000:1 reprieve
from our *current* energy/mass burden on her systems.

I'm not promoting shrinking people as-such, just noting that our 0th
order instinct is growth, and supralinear if at all possible, up to and
likely achieving Kurzweillian asymptotic resource consumption.

On that note, I believe that the myriad technological singularity
concepts all point toward increased complexity  and downscaling to
extend the use of material and energy, driving up the effective
collective metabolism of "the system" and paradoxically *increasing* the
rate at which we approach any of the jillion ecophagic gray-goo
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_goo>-like scenarios neo-luddites
like me might contrive.

I assume (but have not yet poked around for) that Alifers have already
studied the multi-scale *structure* of negative entropy profiles in
complex systems-of-systems.   I think Glen has his ear closer to that
rail than some here?  EricS? ??? I'm still fascinated in the topic but
gave up my little-toenail-purchase in the community in the early 2000s -
Symbiotic Intelligence ALifeVI
<https://cseweb.ucsd.edu//~rik/alife6/papers/SY51.html>.   This reads so
naive yet (mildly) prophetic now...

All is lost! Flee the solar system!