[FRIAM] self-care

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jul 12 16:18:12 EDT 2022

Carl -

I think your point is very well taken, that *much* of what renders out
as hypocrisy is often a reflection of overly ambitious aspirations.
However it IS often easier to hold those aspirations for *others* and
then criticize *their* failure which is the more traditional stylization
of "hypocrisy".  As I age, my aspirations wane but so does my ability
and I often wonder at the ratio of my reach/grasp, whether it is
convergent on 1:1 or more likely radically divergent.  At death, I
suppose, the denominator goes to 0 in the limit?

Glen -

Your point about whole/part conflation is interesting.   I do think that
this conflation can be very problematic, but I also find it interesting
that there *might* be something to it as well (independent of the
specifics of hypocrisy).   As I've tried to understand more of the
implications of holarchies and heterarchies, I sense that the
evolutionary consequence/mechanism of "stacking" holons into holarchies
is complemented by the crossing of those lines with different levels in
the *archy.   One version of these heterarchical crossing of levels
would seem to be an example of what is implied when we try to attribute
qualities of a subsystem to a supersystem?   Are these always and
entirely a false equivalence/conflation?  Do the qualities of a cell
re-present themselves at the organ or organism level?  The qualities of
an individual in a population?  A species in an ecosystem?

Nick -

Your point about "a Unified System" is very aligned with what I'm trying
to gesture above with my *archy points with Glen.   I'd like to
understand more about your own perspective on these ideas... though I
don't know where to start.   I recently took a deep dive into Bateson
via Charlton's "Understanding Bateson" and am now elbow deep in Deacon's
"Incomplete Nature".   I feel that my own adherence to the "hard
sciences" steered me away from some important and deep thinkers (e.g.
Bateson) and that history is now beginning to support some of their more
intuitive and less rigorous claims...   a continued variation on the
"effing the ineffable" discussion here I suppose?

Sarbajit -

I can only (barely) imagine what the US govt and maybe more to the
point, the US information-industrial complex must feel like to members
of non-Western cultures/countries.   I am not a fan of abortion nor of
much of Western Medicine, though I *am* a strong proponent of women's
rights including right-to-choose to terminate a pregnancy.   Without
following the threads of your specific implications, I would not be
surprised to find that your assertions about abortificants being toxic,
even carcinogenic were spot-on.   I believe that *many* (if not all)
Medicines (Western and otherwise) *are* toxic (see virtually all forms
of cancer remedy) but represent a presumed "lesser evil".   A great deal
of the abortions promoted in our (Western) culture, at best, qualify (to
me) as "lesser evils"  which is a sad statement about our culture... but
in my value system, nevertheless "lesser" if still tragic.

While I am often shocked by some of your statements and claims, I can
attribute a lot of that to the very *valuable* cultural parallax you
offer when you make those statements here...   We are a fairly
monocultural group, even *with* yours and a few other voices here... I
appreciate the added spectral spread your offerings induce.