[FRIAM] Sunshine protection act

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Mar 17 20:11:22 EDT 2022

> I hope the imperial measurement system is the next thing to go.

Yah... I can't wait for 10 hour days with 100 days a year and 10, 10 day
months or would it be 10 10 m-week m-months made up of 10 m-day m-weeks
and 10 m-hour m-days?  10,000 m-hour-things a year? Each m-hour made up
of 100 m-minutes and 100 m-seconds per m-minute? or 10,000 m-seconds per
m-hour?   I think that is roughly 52 old-minutes per m-hour so about 2
m-minutes per old-minute and about 1.6 old-second per m-minute?   Is
that 10^8 m-seconds per year?   And a purist would probably insist on
there being 10&10 m-seconds per year, though we could instead use
m-msecs as our atomic unit of perception, though that would be 10^11 ?
Or settle for m-centi-secs?  I might barely be able to perceptually
recognize things at that level since it is vaguely down near the
frequencies where

I'm not sure how to get the sun and moon to sign up for all that.  Or
revert everything to sexigesimal instead... maybe add a finger on each
hand to simplify the counting thing?

In the kitchen and with lumber and cordage I find halves and quarters
and even eighths easier to work with than tenths.   I get the
convenience of metric for calculation with decimal number systems...
but dividing things into halves and halves of halves and even thirds is
a pretty compelling intuitive process. Sexigesimal (60) invokes 5ths  as
well which then supports/allows/extends the ability to divide by 2,3,5
or more elaborately 360 base with 3,4,5,6 divisors.   I find that
playing cards (solitaire and some rummy-like-games) as a child informed
me in base 4 (suites) base 13 (ace-king) and therefore base 52
intuitions which ultimately spilled over into weeks of the moon(th) and
moon(ths) of the year.   Quartering the Moon and Sun cycle gives us
intuitively compelling (registered on nature's evident rhythms) basis
for 7-day weeks and 3 moon(th) Seasons of sorts.   I've never
experienced directly a lunar calendar but have friends who are Muslim
who end up with a lunar-solar sense of annual scheduling.  I think if I
lived in a more temperate/equatorial geography, lunar/lunar-solar might
be more obvious.   Also if I lived more outside of a climate controlled
house and did more night-time hunting/warring, the phases of the moon
would be (yet) more evident/important.

- Gramble