[FRIAM] Is consciousness a mystery? (used to be "mystery...deeper".T

steve smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Jul 11 20:02:49 EDT 2024

Nick -

(of course) I've larded up my usual style of response below (maybe only
for my own need to "express" the buildup of mental-pus that comes with
everything I hear here and elsewhere) but to save you (and anyone else
who cares) the burden of parsing a few dozen lines of back-and-forth, I
offer the punchline.  If you are curious about how I came to said
(vaguely) concise punchline you can read the rest after the <horizontal
line> element below:

A) Can you recognize that there is a spectrum/continuum of things you
would acknowledge as "conscious" between the two extrema (perhaps) of a
(presumably apex-complex) human/cephalopod/cetacean and that of a quark
or a brane or a string-loop or some abstract monad?  B) if yes, what are
the implications of this?  or C) why does quantizing "conscioiusness"
into "humans like me" and "every other bit of life" feel necessary,
useful or appealing?

Steve

If FriAM typical discourse is the Thunderstorm, is this a (weak) cuddle?

> Steve,
>
> The scale of your response alone suggests that it cannot be baby steps.

Thus recognizing it was more of a baby (naive) pentathalon (long,
arduous and multi-modal) hellride of a traverse through the implied space.

> I guess I am proposing a method here, one inn we work outward from an
> evocative experience to explore our understandings of contraversial
> concepts, and that we do it in relatively short bursts.
yes, let us extrude short strands of noodle and see how they criss-cross.

> */Dusty comes to cuddle with David when she hears thunder./*
> */Does Dusty love David?/*
Dave (or does he self-identify as David?) loves Dusty and finds Dusty's
cuddling sufficiently similar/familiar to his own cuddling to attribute
it to love if he is in the mood to do so.
> If yes, what else would you expect Dusty to do with respect to David.
> given you have made that attribution.
> If no, what more would have Dusty have to do, before you would make
> such an attribution.
Qualified yes...    Dusty could cower under the bed, leaving Dave to
choose to coax Dusty out and cuddle Dusty, giving Dusty the "love" or at
least comfort which Dave would offer as the closest cross-species
expression of love he knows how to offer in this moment.  Dave loves
Dusty, Dusty dog-loves Dave.  They are reciprocal but asymmetric in
quality, even if either would give their lives for the other?
> I would like to respond to an inference that there is something
> patronizing about my insisting on a method, as if  I think you need
> thought-therapy and I am the guy to give it.
If in fact you were to have intended (consciously or not) as
patronizing, I take it as an gesture of love, of filial empathy, of
generous guidance from someone who has been around at least as many
trees as I have...   I definitely need or seek thought/spiritual
therapy/guaidance from every quarter, including this one.
> In reply, I only would say that if somebody were willing to ask me
> short, to-the-point questions about my thinking on any matter and
> explore carefully my answers, I would eternally grateful.   I might
> even cuddle with them in a thunderstorm.

I would choose to give you this level of fine-grain attention around
your fascination with vortices in the context of meteorology (and other
domains) more than this domain, but if this is the one you prefer (for
the moment), let me ask a short, three-part but to-the-point question
(and leave it to you to ignore the fecundly laden pregnant assumptions
hidden by the implied simplicity of the construction):