[FRIAM] Joscha Bach claims Microsoft sentient but not conscious

steve smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jul 16 16:13:18 EDT 2024

My litany of examples of entities in my life all share the fact of
"living in a bubble of nowness".   The fact that those bubbles overlap
to different degrees seems to contribute to our "mutual" apprehension of
one another's consciousness (not symmetric).

The non-animal entities at the best probably have very narrow bubbles in
space (2x their extent) and very wide in time (hours, seasons, years)
compared to ours.   The (in)famous Black Mesa a mile or so from me or
Buckman Mesa (looming over me) in their basaltic-plug geology would seem
to have a geospatial bubble a tiny fraction their dimension but a time
apprehension of hundreds of thousands of years?

I'm stretching the concept of "what means consciousness" half-playfully
and half-seriously.   Seeking partly to niggle out from the crowd how
much of what we attribute to another entity's "Consciousness" is highly
projective of our own (self) Consciousness?

OK... we do need to split the hair of "sentient" from "conscious" I
suppose...

Split Away!