[FRIAM] tolerance of intolerance

steve smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Jul 17 18:25:42 EDT 2024

As things slide off toward more and more (probability of and depth of)
authoriatarian intolerance I find myself trying to reign my self back in
to the question of what to do with my offense and real concern for the
nation (and world):  I do I prepare to be a Schindler
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oskar_Schindler> or a Bonhoffer
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dietrich_Bonhoeffer>?

Too many of my (more Lefty) acquaintances are ideating exhaustively
about "leaving the country" while I am trying to guess who more likely
to suffer acutely if Project 2025 and it's promulgators become the
standard than I (elderish professional class white male with a scruffy
beard, farmer's tan and a few callouses who is most comfortable wearing
jeans and workboots, who owns a pickup truck).

 1. We have one friend who has been homeless in her life, has
    significant emotional disabilities but has had her life on track for
    over 10 years now, but only with significant "gub'mnt assistance".
    Two of her three siblings are in even worse shape, living much
    closer to the edge financially and mentally... she moved from here
    to be close to them and help as she could 5 or 6 years ago.  She is
    baldfaced scared that her siblings and likely herself will end up on
    the streets (again) in a heartbeat and possibly driven to worse
    things in the process.   I think *we* could help her enough that she
    could keep helping her siblings avoid a complete failure to
    thrive...   so that is one thing.
 2. Another is a friend who has finally obtained permanent resident
    status after decades of bouncing between temporary work visas and
    returning to the highlands of MX, all the time working as hard as he
    could, birthing and raising two children (who are American Citizens
    by birth, aka "anchor babies") and now some grandchildren.  He
    doesn't openly worry or grouse, but I could feel the relief when his
    permanent residence status (and that of his wife in a similar time
    frame) came through.   While I think he is on the "safe" side of
    immigration rules being turned inside out, I'm sure he is worried
    about it as well as whether the intolerant elements of our community
    might feel (more) liberated in directing their "performative
    cruelty" in his family's direction.   Helping him could come in many
    forms, not sure what they are quite yet.
 3. I'm sure there are others...  others I won't think of until I sit
    with it for a while?

Gary, how many "political refugees" can you take in there in Ecuador?
I doubt my canoe can traverse the coast around the Darien Gap, but it
might be worth a try... (probably trade it on the south-end for
something of value or at least some good intel on how to get to your
place?)   or just stay here and channel Schindler and Bonhoffer?

- Steve