[FRIAM] New Mexican's Sunday's story on education proficiency

steve smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jul 22 21:36:26 EDT 2024

> Numbers are real things. The more one explores them, the more
> experiences one has of them, the more confidently one comes to rely on
> them.

automatic cash registers (and calculators to some extent) reduced
numbers to numerals (or in some cases mere signifiers?) so it any wonder
that people whose daily work is facilitated by them are not only enabled
to lose (or fail to acquire) numeracy but have had numeracy and basic
arithmetic (add/subtract whole numbers) displaced by this.

The year my parents bought us a dart-board for xmas (mid grade 2) and
the subsequent dart-play-binging and even dreaming dart scoring really
cemented my basic arithmetic skills.  The modulo 21 version where if you
went *over* 21 you went back to the residual points over 21, putting a
big premium on being able to subtract your current score from 21 and
seeking a 3 dart combination of scores to sum to that value and then
recalculate after each dart-throw.

There were no calculators of note (mechanical tape adders though) in my
youth so long-addition/subtraction were ubiquitous skills as was doing
the same in your head for at least a few digit numbers.   They became
widespread by the time I was out of college and change-making cash
registers the same... numeracy had already begun to become numerology at
that time (late 70s).

I learned a slip-stick out of curiosity and the portability/compactness
of a trig table-on-a-stick in middle school with model rocketry
(estimating altitude visually) and it took me from working with numbers
to working with quantities and magnitudes and estimates and "acceptable
errors".   I probably didn't do a single calculation with one after that
(maybe a couple) but it really set in my mind how exponents/logs worked
and an intuition for trigonometric relations (mostly just looking up a
tangent of an angle and dividing by some odd number being the
standoff-pacing from the launch of the oberver).

Half the folks here surely used a slide-rule at some point in their life
and roughly half probably only barely knows what they look like or how
they work?   Pretty quick transition.   Zs and Millenials probably will
have the same experience with maps and directions... given the mobile
devices.