[FRIAM] New Mexican's Sunday's story on education proficiency

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Tue Jul 23 11:59:44 EDT 2024

The Murky Pond - I think that's the correct pragmatist metaphor for the
world and our lives in it.

My mother's parents owned a farm on the eastern shore of Maryland, a
traditional summer retreat from DC or NYC.  The farm, Leecote, had a roller
coaster dirt drive that wound from the improved road to the farmhouse on
the waterfront, a tidal creek which led to the Tred Avon River, to the
Choptank River, to the Chesapeake Bay, and so on.  On one side of the drive
there was a swimming pond.  Across the drive was another pond which my
uncle assured me was the home of a snapping turtle.  Hence I spent many
hours of my early childhood haunting a murky pond looking for, and
imagining various encounters with, a snapping turtle hiding in a murky pond.

I really like the first four pages of The Pragmatist Enlightenment, I hope
I can muster the will to read the rest.

(Soundtrack, John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, A Hard Road,  "The
Super-Natural".)

-- rec --